Home » Online News
After a big lunch, I am a little sleepy but with coffee in hand I will push on, let’s find out about SEO for CMS systems.
Your CMS in the control centre for your whole network. All content should have a specified SEO phrase as it’s target. You need to score that specified keyword if you can. What factors you use for importance, is dependent on what industry you are in, is it relevancy, recency etc ? Links also change according to the targeted keywords.
12 filed you need to control
- Title tag
- SEO key phrase
- Bread crumbs
- H1 tag
- H2 tag
- Body text
- Navigational and footer links
- Canonical tag
- 301 redirect
- Meta no follow/follow
- No follow tags
- Robot instructions
Get management to buy into the project with some big wins, once they see the results roll out other SEO measures. Cite other companies within the Google News network for higher ranking news stories, get them to link to you as well.
Nice one Brent.
I managed to have a chat to Greg last year on the boat ride, he’s great, awesome to see him back again. Let’s hear what he has to say on Avoiding Search Engine Penalties.
google.com.au/webmasters-Greg’s most important take away
- Ranking is the process by which S.E’s order results. In 2009 google released 500 ranking adjustments
- Penalties are downward ranking adjustments, reserved for removing spam, malware, phishing etc
- Penalties are a tiny fraction of ranking changes.
SPAM= Sites Positioned Above Mine. if you are making pages only for S.E’s you are on the wrong track.
Sneaky redirects are a form of cloaking. Poor quality links and paid links that are not disclosed are also examples of spam. Google is ridiculously good at this (according to Greg).
- Reciprocal links
- Hidden links
- Bad neighbourhoods
- Outgoing links that could affect your reputation
Bad links simply won’t pass any value.
How Google handles spam
- Google will tell you through GWT that they think you are being spammy. Fix it and then submit a re-inclusion request.
- Prevent spam through captcha, moderating and being careful with logins and passwords.
It was a little disappointing that Greg’s presentation was almost exactly the same as last year, good for people who haven’t heard it, a little boring for people who have.
Does a penalty stay in place until the offending act is removed or until a re-inclusion request ?
It depends, sometimes you need to file a request and sometimes it just happens by algorithm.
Can you I.P deliver by country for specific words ?
Yes ,that’s fine
How can you remove past events ?
You would need to remove this page, it is not recommended. Google is aware of the problem and is working on it.
Sometimes 301′s won’t pass anchor text or PR, if you are not doing anything bad, you should be fine, Danny says 90-95% or PR is passed on his tests.
This was actually a really good Q & A session, for some reason I am not that stupendous at live blogging Q & A ‘s, I would recommend checking out Kalena’s coverage or Silver pistol in addition to this blog.
Here he is, the captain of charisma, the doctor of details, the master of magnificence and the giver of raises ( hint hint ), Bruce Clay Australia’s very own Des O’Dell, speaking on Universal Search.
If you are not doing something for Universal search, you should be, there are still massive opportunities and threats in this space.
- Many more links on the page-25 in the example that Des used
- Many more results
- Shopping results are coming in Australia, so get ready for them
- Similar things happening in Bing as are happening in Google in terms of universal
- Can have less that 10 traditional blue links
- Not all universal features have been rolled out in Australia
It is going to continue to grow, if you are not doing universal search, then you need to do some. 86% of all queries had one instance of universal search and 74% of all queries had universal research above the fold. Number of links on a SERP is growing. Big difference between universal search coming up with popular and big searches and smaller companies. Minimal change in universal search occurrences from day to day however, the number of links within universal search does differ.
Use traditional SEO techniques to optimise the digital assets. News appears most in universal search whilst local ranks second. Use ‘how to videos’ to get good universal rankings.
How to get videos to rank
- Make a video the first thing on the page
- Use the words you are trying to rank for on the page
- Good quality images
- Good quality videos
- Use video sitemap
- Creating compelling videos
- Promote video
- Make sure the page speed is fast
- Universal search will increase
- Many opportunities and threats
- Optimise digital assets
- Use engagement objects
- Leverage traditional SEO strategies
Thanks Des, great as always.
Page 7 of 11« First«...56789...»Last »