Home » Online News
The last session of the day and my back is thankful for that. Here are some great insights from the site clinic:
- URL’s should be short and descriptive, not full of unknown parameters
- Have text behind an image
- Use header tags
- Don’t use session id’s
- 404 error page could be improved
- Make sure www and non-www resolve to the same place
- Price of a product should be next to the cart
- Use breadcrumbs
- More information in the title tags-watch out for kw stuffing
- Can’t be found in top few results for strollers
- *Barry just got pwned*
- Should be easy to navigate
- Title is home page=not good
- Should be social media promotion
- Very little content/information
- No alt tags
- Too many links on product page and home page
- Too much stuffing of DVD in anchor text
- User experience could be better, Greg calls it ‘wonky’
- Use RSS feeds to create content from mash ups
- Use o-desk to find freelancers
- Deep category level linking, pick top 10 categories, go after those
- Clean layout
- Phone number where you would expect it
- Straight to the point
- Good listing of brands
- Footer has too many links
- 404 page is not great
- Big homepage (1.5 Megs), should be a tenth of that
- Lots of links on the homepage, but no content
- Too many directories sending links
- Lots of links to non-existent pages
- Too many links coming from too few sites
- Good design
- Good ratings and energy efficient data
Thanks for a great conference SMX, be safe on the boat and enjoy your long weekend everybody.
Here he is, the captain of charisma, the doctor of details, the master of magnificence and the giver of raises ( hint hint ), Bruce Clay Australia’s very own Des O’Dell, speaking on Universal Search.
If you are not doing something for Universal search, you should be, there are still massive opportunities and threats in this space.
- Many more links on the page-25 in the example that Des used
- Many more results
- Shopping results are coming in Australia, so get ready for them
- Similar things happening in Bing as are happening in Google in terms of universal
- Can have less that 10 traditional blue links
- Not all universal features have been rolled out in Australia
It is going to continue to grow, if you are not doing universal search, then you need to do some. 86% of all queries had one instance of universal search and 74% of all queries had universal research above the fold. Number of links on a SERP is growing. Big difference between universal search coming up with popular and big searches and smaller companies. Minimal change in universal search occurrences from day to day however, the number of links within universal search does differ.
Use traditional SEO techniques to optimise the digital assets. News appears most in universal search whilst local ranks second. Use ‘how to videos’ to get good universal rankings.
How to get videos to rank
- Make a video the first thing on the page
- Use the words you are trying to rank for on the page
- Good quality images
- Good quality videos
- Use video sitemap
- Creating compelling videos
- Promote video
- Make sure the page speed is fast
- Universal search will increase
- Many opportunities and threats
- Optimise digital assets
- Use engagement objects
- Leverage traditional SEO strategies
Thanks Des, great as always.
This session is given by Chris Dimmock and maybe Greg Grothaus because he is standing up there. There has been a bit of a shuffle here today. how does google know when you are being spammy in terms of accessibility. Web accessibility is making the web available for people with disabilities. Chris give us some history on battles between organisations and the government in terms of accessibility.
New W3C guidelines stipulates how to hide links and how to use CSS to replace text with images of text. What does a white hat do ? Do you comply with Google or the government ?
Need to find something that works in all cases, use CSS so that if a search engine can read it, users must also be able to read it. Things can’t be different, text must be identical. Make sure text is not in java, flash etc, keep content in text format.
There are compromises between webmaster guidelines and accessibility, you just need to tread a fine line when doing this.
Google is showing local results without any geo qualifiers, so even if you want to rank nationally, you should register a local business centre.
How can I rank for L.A fires in universal search ?
Google is maybe triggering that universal result incorrectly.
20% of people click on the pages from Australia option within Google
You need to manually move local listings, within a shopping centre like an ATM for example
How do you get back a place within Google Maps if somebody takes it away?
It is illegal, and there is a feature to report the item as incorrect.
Page 7 of 11« First«...56789...»Last »